Wednesday, May 05, 2004

'What a difference a day makes'

On my return from work yesterday was
surprised by Alan's amazingly bad mood.
He was sitting watching Trisha (which
in itself is not too bad) but he was
surrounded by junk food and beer cans.
If I was a medium I would say he had a
particularly bad aura. He did not even say
hello.
"Alright sweetie!" I said and dived on his lap.
"Hmm." Was all I got from him.
"Hey did you do much writing?" I asked, bad
move as this was obviously what was bugging
him I could gage from his reaction.
"No I stopped. My muse has definitely left the
building, I am all washed up." He said in a
dangerously low voice. His eyes did not leave
the screen for a second.
"Don't talk cock! You are brilliant, it'll come back,
honestly!" I gave him my best sunny smile.
"That easy huh? If anyone else had said that I
would have told them to sod off, but as it's
'little Miss Blogsbody' well hey? Who am I to
argue with such talent!"
I dissolved this little gem of sarcasm.
"I'm only trying to help you! I do know
that if you are a writer, you have to write. Even
if it's crap. You keep going, or else you are not
a writer at all." So there! I felt like sticking my
tongue out, but as I'm 34 I resisted the urge.
"I'm sorry." Alan mumbled.
"Don't worry I'm thick skinned! Did Ruthie get
away alright?"
"Yeah um, she was fine, bit of a hangover,
she says she will phone you in a couple of days.
Look I'll have a hot shower and then I will clear
all this mess up alright?"
"Ok, you are ok though? I mean is there
not anywhere you can go to get inspiration?"
I looked hard at him, the poor guy seemed
broken.
"Look I might need to get away again for a few
days, maybe stay with some friends in
Aviemore. The fresh air will do me good."
He still hadn't even looked at me.
"Alan you are scaring me! Tell me hand on heart
that you are not seeing Pru again."
He laughed!
"Pru! For fucksake! Of course not, there is
nothing at all wrong with us ok? I need
some time to work it all out. If I'm not going
to be a writer then maybe I shall go back to
teaching. We shall see." Alan smiled so wanly
that I wanted to breast feed him there on the
spot!
"Sister-thing says you do look like a Geography
teacher! Are you sure you have to go? What
about my 'postie'? I might be in danger!"
"You have DC Straw to look after you! Anyway
I think that you should stay at my flat, partly
because I want you to and partly because
I have plants that need watering."
I grabbed him tightly.
"Can I share your shower?"
"Um, maybe not, really don't feel in the mood
Becks, sorry."
What the hell is going on with this guy?
I phoned Ruth.
"Ruthie baby! Hi it's Becks, how's your
head?"
"Oh still there I think, what's up?"
"Alan, he seems in a really funny 'off' sort of
mood. What was he like when you left this
morning?"
"Fine! We had coffee, we also went to St Jame's
park to feed the damn ducks! Then when we got
back to yours I called a cab. He was sitting happily
writing when I left him. What's up with him then?"
"Says that he cannot write, he's off to Scotland
of all places! Look better go Ruthie dear, he'll be
out of the shower soon."
"I wouldn't worry too much Becka, he'll be ok."
"I know."
What was worrying me was that Alan had not
even mentioned the trip to the park to me.
Maybe it had slipped his mind.
When he finally after an hour got out of the
shower he told me that he was leaving tomorrow.
"Look I've got some time due to me at work, shall
I come with you? Ruth can look after your bloody plants?"
He grimaced.
"I really do want to be on my own."
"But you won't be! You will be with your friends! Am
I not your friend?" I said pathetically.
"Please don't make this hard for me, I do want
to be with you. I'll phone everyday, email you
anything you want! But please let me go!"
I could hardly stop him could I?
Becka

No comments: