Tuesday, May 18, 2004

CONFIDE IN ME

My nerves are jangly (could be the 15 cups of
coffee I've drank) could be the fact I'm meeting
Ruth tonight for 'THE BIG TALK'. But most probably
it was the lunch time meeting with Angela Grade. To
begin with she was very late, 30 minutes, I sat in
the small cafe near where I worked waiting for her
and prantically wringing my hands in anguish. I knew
what would happen, she would turn up and I would have
to go back to work. I would look like the rude one,
even though it was her who was late. Blast. When she
did finally arrive she drifted in wearing something
that could have come from a extra-large branch of
Arabian nights. She looked good, I must say, like
a purple tent with tassels on and her blonde hair
straight and shiny, probably ironed flat.
"Oh hi Becka! I'm sorry I'm late!" She kissed me
wetly on the cheek (I really wanted to wipe myself,
but that would have been rude).
"We had better order quickly as I have to be back to
work in 25 minutes." I pulled a rueful face like the
consummate actress that I am.
"Oh I've fixed it, you have another hour and a half,
believe me Becka when you lunch with the big girls
lunch can take some time!" She laughed.
I bit my tongue hard to try to stop myself saying
something stupid.
"What will you have? Choose anything, all on the
company's expenses! Oooh I'll have a cheese and bacon
topped half pounder with wedges and salad! Yourself?"
"Um, I'll have the grilled chicken and fries."
"Nonsense! I insist you have something a bit tasty,
how about the fillet steak?" She beamed like a 100
watt bulb.
"Ok then, but I'll have a jacket potato instead of
fries in that case."
"You girls! Always watching your weight, you have
nothing to worry about." I could swear that she leered
at me and I do me a straight up ogle. I blushed, why
the fuck did this woman have this effect on me?
She talked ten to the dozen all through the meal,
then she landed one on me.
"I think Becka that I would like you to be my personal
assistant, how would that suit you?" Her eyes bored
into me shrewdly.
"I'm very flattered, really I am, but I haven't
had that kind of experience." I admitted.
"Don't worry about anything darling! I will train
you and we can always send you on a IT course. You
will be fine and we'll have so much fun!"
What could I do? I was in a dead end job at 34 and
no real prospects.
"In that case Angela, I accept!" We shook hands,
but when I went to pull away, she held onto me tightly.
"I'm going to enjoy working with closely with you."
She said in a breathy voice. You could practically
hear Sid James laugh. Fuck. When we were eating our
tirimisu she placed her hand on my knee.
"I'll take care of you." She murmured and her hand
slipped higher. I was just glad I was wearing trousers!
What would Alex have done? 'Get off me bitch!' and a
flying headbutt. I felt seedy and a bit nasty, I was
a willing victim wasn't I? I wanted this job and
Angela, from her actions had made it blatently
clear what she wanted from me. This was one secret
I would not be sharing with Sister-thing or the Fuckwits.
I was very glad when I managed to escape back to
work. I would be 'starting' with Angela from monday.
Time to invest in a chastity belt methinks! No
really! I seem to always have to pay for everything
I get. So now to prepare for Ruth, she for one
would normally have loved a fruity story like this.
I hope our friendship will survive, I really
hope that Alan is to blame. No I don't! I miss the
git already.
Becka

No comments: