Thursday, May 06, 2004

A MAN'S PLACE

I'm here, sitting bang in the middle of
planet Alan and I don't know whether
to laugh or cry. I took the day off from
work as a 'family situation' day as I had
to move all my gear over to Alan's. Felt
guilty for a milisecond. But it passed.
He left last night, why the rush I wonder?
These artistic types!
I phoned Mickey Straw.
"Hi Mickey, it's Becka, took your advice
and I've left the flat for a few days. I'll
be staying at Alan's."
"Lucky bastard!" He exclaimed.
"Yes he is! Although at present I'm on
my own, he's off to Scotland."
"So your all on your ownsome?" I could practically
see his wolfish smile.
"Yes I am." I was smiling too.
"Do you want any company?" Came the bold
reply. Tempting but:
"Mickey! What are you like? No I'm alright
babe, honestly."
"Well if you change your mind, you know
where I am. I want you to go to your
place every day just to see if you have post.
Anything changes, call me ok?"
"Yes Sir!"
I spent most of the day looking through Alan's
possessions and laughing at old photos of him.
I missed him already! This flat was very much a
man's domain, dark colours, minumum fuss
and no ornaments. Plenty of books to go through
and a great Dell computer to use. The plants
were something! Talk about Return of the Triffids!
Palms, rubber plants and phallic cactus things
with vicious looking spikes eew! I was scared to
get too close to them, they looked poisonous, I
wondered if Alan spoke to them at all. I won't. To
make myself busy and to pass time I washed both of
my mopeds and dusted everything in the flat. It was no
good I needed company.
"Alex! Get your arse around here now!"
"Becka I would babe! It's just that there is so much to
organise! Where is this cruddy place anyway?"
"Hampstead."
"Get you!"
"Please come! I'm lonely." I pleaded.
"Ok, tell me the address. Are you asking Ruth?"
"I don't see why not."
"Alright but I'm bringing Sean."
I phoned Ruthie. "Hey babe, want to come around
to Alan's place for a drink?"
"Your at Alan's? What are you moving in now or
something? I always thought you valued your
independence. These men! Take over your life they do!"
I stopped her mid-rant.
"Wait girl! I am moving in, but he's not here! He's off
on a jaunt to the whiskey country. Hope he brings me back
a sporran!"
"Hmm, I could just do a nice hairy legged scots man!
Is Alan taking orders?" She laughed throatily:"Count
me in, see you tonight, oh what time?"
"Eightish? You are a gem, Alex and Sean will be here
too, lets see who can get the most plastered."
"Unfair! You always win that one! You light weight!"
"What about you the other night? Alan had to
carry you back!"
"He carried me?" I heard her go quiet, embarrassed
I suppose.
"He didn't mind at all." I told her the address.
"Later then." She abruptly hung up, that was it with
Ruth, she had never learned to handle strong emotions.
Love, hate, embarrassment whatever, that was a cue for
her to leave.
Alan must be in Aviemore by now, he still hasn't
phoned though. I'm not worried yet.
Becka

No comments: