Wednesday, May 19, 2004

NEED WANT TAKE HAVE

At Tescos yesterday afternoon I was packing shopping
in the back of the Vespa when something strange happened.
An ancient Fiat Panda pulled up in the car park next to me
and 3 elderly ladies got out. Nothing strange there right?
Well a brand spanking new Jaguar was parked opposite the
Panda they all piled into this car. Without shopping.
I kind of thought it was very Tarantino, was it some sort
of heist? What was going on? Very strange. I suppose this
set the theme for the rest of the evening. Later when I
arrived at Ruth's complete with pounding heart and
sweaty palms she met me at the door. She looked odd.
No she did not have on a negligee, backcombed hair and
a cigarette burning in an amber holder. She was totally
unsmiling and white as a sheet.
"Hi Ruth, can I come in?" I said breezily like I'd
come to borrow a cup of sugar.
"Sure." The voice was dead. My heart threatened to
explode from my chest and burst like a firework.
"Look." I said:"Alan has been saying completely crazy
stuff about you girl!" I laughed hysterically:"I just
wanted to hear your side of the story."
"What did he say?" Ruth said and looked away, her fingers
were plucking at eachother nervily.
So I told her in a joky, what-a-laugh sort of way.
"So": I finished:"What do you think of that?"
"I think he's a prick." She said softly:" All men are,
I don't want to hurt you babe that was the last thing on
my mind. But well, me and Alan are having a sort of
a 'thing' going on?"
My heart did not explode, it crystallized and crumpled.
"I see."I said tightly:"How could you Ruth? You are my
best friend!"
"I am your friend, but Alan well, he's something I
want, he's clever, handsome and funny. You never seemed
that bothered by him. It was a case of 'need want take have'.
I know it was wrong, but sometimes theses things happen.
Your'll get over him."
"He said that it was you, that he wasn't interested
at all." I was trying to deal with her contemptuous
attitude.
"To use the words of Rice-Davis ' well he would say that
wouldn't he?' grow up Becks, I know you think you've
got it made with the guys. But quite simply he preferred
me to you. You have to face it love-it's over. He's
my boyfriend now, infact he is coming around this very
night!" She beamed at me.
"You traitorous bitch!" I spat.
"Don't be like that, I'm sure we will laugh about it
one day!" Then she smiled and for the first time in
my life I wanted to hurt her, make her scream.
"You disgust me!" I snapped and stormed out, Ruth
made no attempt to stop me. I will phone Alan later,
what a snake!
Becka

No comments: