Saturday, May 15, 2004

GETTING A GRIP

Although my insides felt like they had been put
through a blender, I did brave work today.
Realistically, I am a working class girl and if I don't
work, I don't eat. I kept my eyes down like a virgin
bride and tried not to look at Justine at all.
Zoey was more difficult.
"Becka! You look like shit! Big night?" She laughed.
"You could say that." I mumbled and began to clean my
counter. Almost straight away a woman appeared.
"I would like to try some make-up." She said brightly.
"What look are you trying to achieve." I said in
monotone.
She smiled at me:"I would like to look like Madonna
in the Ray of Light video!"
Zoey nearly choked on her bubblegum, I glared at
her.
"So a fresh healthy look with some shimmer?" I
suggested. I began to work, the woman was attractive,
dark blonde hair and very good skin. She was also
clinically obese. She did look good after I had
finished, like a golden Dawn French.
"There! What do you think?" I asked her. She frowned,
moved her hair around and frowned again.
"But." She said sullenly:"I don't look like Madonna."
"Listen honey we are make up artists, neither of us
attended Hogwarts or are on a direct line to god!"
I snapped, shit what the hell was I on? Zoey burst out
laughing and fled. The woman turned on me.
"How rude." She said quietly, although she did not
seem very upset at all.
"I am sorry, I didn't mean it." I said, horrified
now. My mouth will be the death of me!
"I'm actually a Secret Shopper sent from Head Office
to check the performance of the staff. My name is
Angela Grade." She grinned like a cat with a mouse
(if they grin)and like a mouse I felt squeaky.
"That's blown it." I said shakily:"Shall I get my
coat?"
"I should report you really, but." She began to
laugh:"You really are rather funny! Don't worry I
will say that you were fine."
"Why? I've messed up bigtime." I could not believe
it was the end of it.
"Lets just say, I needed a giggle alright? Look
here's my card." She proffered it to me.
"Thanks Angela and I do mean thanks!" I said
gratefully.
"No problem, Hogwarts hey?" She walked off laughing.
Zoey crept back.
"Oh that was so funny! I will have to be more careful
in future, you definitely will!" It's all so easy
at 16 right?
"I'm not cut out for working with people, really
I should just work in an office somewhere, or
better still a lighthouse."
My head was hurting through lack of sleep and
my eyes burned.
"Your not going to cry are you?" Asked Zoey whose
very eyes were already filling with tears. "Because
if you do then I will too!"
"Nope I'm fine, I'll take you at lunch time to
Starbucks ok?"
"Oooh! Can I have a milkshake?"
"Baby, anything you want." Which made her smile
and she began to hum Britney Spear's latest as
she pottered about the counter.
Still cannot get my head around what to do
next. Alan is dead in the water at this time
(at least as far as I'm concerned)but I did need
to speak to Ruth. Also sadly, this meant that I
would have to go back to my flat. I'd begun
to take a shine to Alan's. Deep joy-all I needed now
was the mad postie.
I'm sure that Ruth will be ok, won't she?
Becka

No comments: