Friday, May 21, 2004

GREEN

Started work today happily sorting through
a new consignment of Ruby & Millie lipsticks
when another faceless executive edged towards
my counter.
"Miss Martin , Miss Grade has phoned through
to say that you are to finish work today. Please
make sure the counter is secure before leaving it."
"I thought I was supposed to work today and tomorrow,
have I done something wrong?" I was worried and Justine
was grinning at me like a damned chimp. I guess she
thought I was getting the sack,well it did actually
feel very much like that!
"No on the contrary, you are to go to Ladies Attire
on the second floor and choose yourself a couple of
suits. Miss Grade said to get the best." He turned
on his heel mumbling ;"Now I've got to arrange cover!"
Justine scuttled over (like a cockroach).
"Have they finally ousted you my dear?" She cooed.
"Nope. Promotion. I'm now going to be a PA!" Her face
was green.
"I see. I take it you will be working with Miss Grade?"
"Yes I will."
"Good luck! You will need it!" She laughed.
"Will you miss me?" I said.
"Yeah can't live without you!" Justine walked off
shaking her head. It was strange, in a way I would
miss her! She was part of my life for so long, the
shop, counter, customers, everything! Also I was
a bit niggled that it had been all so quickly, nobody
had got me a card, or taken me down the pub. It did not
seem fair.
I missed Alan badly, it was like a gnawing ache in
my side. Still did not have the heart to phone Alex,
she would only worry or worse still get the next flight
home. In the changing cubicle I sat down and texted her
instead.
"Hey Alex, good news I'm going to be a PA!" A couple
of minutes later when I was squeezing myself gingerly
into a Prada grey suit I received Alex's reply.
"Congrats! Sean doing , big star soon, guess what?
Married!"
Sod the suits, I need a drink!
Becka

No comments: