Monday, June 07, 2004

RUSSIANS

Rather then deal with the whole sorry Ruth episode,
I, queen of denial decided not to tell Alex. At least
not last night. I was happy, I had my bezzie mate back
who had brought me a darling red top from LA which said
'SKA' on the front. I gelled my hair into little peaks and
put enough glitter eyeshadow on to shame a drag queen.
We went to LilacLace and was pleased to see the proprietor,
the human Easter-egg was absent. Neck, the deadly henchman
was though. His black eyes glittered when he saw Alex (I'm
sure she had shagged him at one point)and he smiled
at her.
"No Grady?" She enquired loftily.
"He's on holiday in Ibiza, would you like some cocktails
girls?" Neck was in charge and we didn't have to pay for a single drink. However the night was not without incident,
turning I saw Alan talking with Pru in one of the booths.
"Shit no!" I practically gagged on my White Russian.
"Alan? Oh so that's Pru, pretty isn't she for an old
girl." Said Alex observantly.
"What shall I do?" I felt like wringing my hands
(and Pru's neck) in frustration.
"Do nothing, dance, have a good time, show him what
your made of."
So although I wanted to rush over and grab him, make him
notice me, I just danced quietly with Alex and
tried not to look at him.
"Is Alan looking at me?" I asked.
"No."
I wiggled my hips:"Is he looking now?"
"No! I'll tell you when he looks, shut up!"
We danced somemore, I felt like I was auditioning
for Flashdance, so much effort was I putting into it.
"Ok he's seen you, they both have."
"And?" I went low and felt my back groan at the indignity.
"He looks fazed, she looks angry. I would say you've
got yourself a result. Uh-uh he's coming over!"
"Hello Becka, Alex." Said the quiet, familiar voice.
I turned slowly and felt my heart melt like soft wax,
whatever Alan said, I knew that we were meant to be
together. He still looked thin and his hair had grown
a little, but he was in better shape then last time I
had seen him.
"Alan!" I kissed his cheek, aware that Pru was glaring
from her booth like Medusa.
"It's really good to see you again." Something
flashed through his eyes, regret maybe? Then Pru
walked across the room like a legendary British actress.
"Becka my dear!" She boomed in her husky voice.
"How charming you look!" She was wearing Prada I think
in deep ruby, a shapless dress that enhanced all the
right places.
I felt like a tramp on a day out- before I had
felt so good-so boss. She had a knack of making me
feel cheap and tawdry.
"Likewise." I said shortly and introduced her to
Alex.
"Have I seen you on the catwalk?" Asked Pru.
Alex laughed:"No, but if you buy your clothes from
catalogues there is a very good chance you would have
seen me!"
"Maybe not then." Said Pru frostily.
"Well." Said Alan, he looked helpless:"I think we
should go Pru." Before he could say goodbye Pru
stopped him.
"Alan! You haven't told them our news? Oh dear!
Men! Look at this:" She showed a square cut diamond
the size of a thumbnail. "Isn't it exquisite? This is
out, 'try-again' ring."
"Excuse me, I feel a bit sick." I swayed and Alex
caught me.
"Oh? I hope it wasn't something I said?" Said Pru
grinning evilly like a wicked queen step-mother.
"No, just too many White Russians, all that cream."
My good friend said as an explanation-even though it
was obvious I was upset.
Alex ushered me to the toilet and true enough I
really was sick. At least she did not have to hold
my hair this time.
"Are you ok Becks?"
"No I'm not! Well this time I'm going to get mean!
No more 'Mrs Nice-Girl!"
And I meant it-no fucking around-this was
war!
Becka

No comments: