Saturday, April 03, 2004

Mummy-Becks

Today at work I was surprized to find a young
ethusiastic girl standing at my counter wearing
our regulation black:
"Hi I'm Zoey! I'm working here on saturdays,
I'm from The London College of Beauty."
"Yeah?" I scratched my head:"Um, nobody told
me, but thats cool, I'm Becka."
"My Buddy?"
"Huh?"
"Your my Buddy, you show me the ropes, or rather
the strokes!" She giggled.
"Alright then." I hope.
It transpired that Zoey (sixteen, bless!) did attend
college but she was already used to applying make-up on
account that her family ran an undertakers and she
often 'beautified' the cadavers. Blimey, top
job for a young chickie!
"We sometimes have a Resident Evil at the next
counter, she could use some of your expertise."
"Justine? Oh no she's gorgeous! So pretty and blonde."
She said wistfully.
"Hmm, right lets get started."
Zoey was very good at selling the make-up with a smile
that was not too fake (unlike myself). However when
she was applying eyeshadow to a girl, I noticed that
her hand was shaking. I took over and finished the job.
"What was the problem?" I said gently.
"It was her eyes! They were freaking me out!"
"Why?" I had'nt noticed anything wrong with the girl's
peepers myself.
"They kept moving."
"That's what living people do, move, that shows there
hmm, alive."
"Very funny! But seriously, does'nt it make you nervy
going so near to someone's eye?"
"The truth is I don't think about it. I just get on and do it,
it's harder actually when they have facial hair. I find I
frown a lot and sometimes the customer notices."
All was going swimmingly until:
"Zoey, a word please?" I hated to come over all
authoritarian, but:
"That shade of pink lipstick-interesting choice."
"Oh yes! Is'nt it pretty? I just love pink!"
"Yes it is a lovely shade, pastelly, nice sheen. But
your client have you not noticed that she's black?"
"Oh but pink really is in now! All the models are wearing
it even that African model with the very short hair."
"Hmm, you have a point. Very valid, I'm glad that
you are keeping abreast of the current trends.
However your client is not a model, she is a middle-aged
lady and all I can see is the lips. Try a browny pink shade if
you must. Try to see the big picture."
I saw her little lips tremble, but she took it on the chin.
Her client did look rather relieved when the pink glop
was removed. I thought that would be the end of it
but no:
"Zoey?" Hmm.
"Another word please."
"Look, what have I done this time? The lady likes
pink!" The client this time was about seventy, very
pale and very wrinkled. Zoey had chosen a light pink
eyeshadow but unfortunately it was glittery and the
glitter was settling in the wrinkles like snow drifts.
"No glitter ok? Look next week I'll bring my portfolio
in to give you a few ideas."
"Your not mad at me?"
"Nah! You've done very well, I would have made
everyone look like an extra from 'The Rocky Horror'
when I was your age!" (Truth was I looked like one myself).
"Thats great! I really like you Becka! I've never had a
gay friend before!"
Gay? Hey!
"Hum, I not actually, strictly speaking, gay. Who told
you I was a lez-I mean gay?" As if I did'nt know already.
"Justine, she said I should watch myself, that I was
just your type. She said that saturday girls don't last very
with you."
"Well you have lasted the longest. On account that you
are the first! Bloody Justine. You go home kid,
have a nice night."
"Thank you Becka! Sorry I thought you were gay."
" S'alright."
Humph- Justine I'm watching you girl.

On the Alan front, well he was not over-joyed to
hear from me. But I did offer him a homecooked meal
tonight and a drink in my local pub. He says he will
think about it. Checked my mobile but he has'nt
phoned yet. Maybe he's left a message on my landline.

Becka

No comments: