Thursday, July 08, 2004

SISTER-THING TALKING S**T

I was sitting on the loo whilst Sister-thing took a
bath, this was how small her flat was. It was just lucky
all I wanted to do was pee. I had just told her in depth
how much I hated Mother, Justine and Estelle and newly,
bloody Angela Grade. But most of all I hated Pru for
snaring Alan with her sophisticated mature woman act.
"Look Becka, you are the one who jerked him around and
your silly friend Ruth! He must have thought you were two
silly girls, your so immature. She shook her curly hair
spraying water over me (so much for maturity).
"I'm 34." I growled wiping the droplets off my face
with some tissue.
"Well act like it's not your IQ! I personally have begun
to think it's too late to get him back. Your'll get over
him in time and he is happy now." She covered her hair with
a rich conditioner that smelt of bubblegum. Mmm nice.
"I could make him much happier! Pru is so boring, she
isn't funny like me. Oh and can I borrow that conditioner?"
"If you want, you borrow everthing else! Maybe you just
think your funny, maybe everyone else thinks your a pain
in the arse. Ever thought of that?" She said helpfully.
"No I hadn't, thanks for putting that little germ of
negativity in my head, you bitch." Ruthlessly I plucked
my eyebrows, wishing I could inflict a similar pain
on her.
"Careful or else you will over pluck." She warned.
"Like duh? You don't say!" I glared at her and she glared
right back.
"I don't care, have drag queen brows if you want."
She sneered and set about shaving her legs, I smiled
when she nicked herself. Ouch that had to hurt.
"Look you are putting me off! You have finished peeing,
so please fuck off!" Raine snapped.
"I thought you were on my side." I said sulkily:"I thought
you would help me-I was wrong."
"Bloody hell! So melodramatic, I am on 'your side' dopey!
I just think it's time you started to change a bit,
maybe grow up and start to think about other people,
you know, other then yourself! We exist too, we think
and feel and have all the traumas that you do. We just
don't make such a meal of it is all."
"Who made you chief lecturer?" I snapped, the sauce of it!
"Well I guess Mother did by having me first and I've
been with D forever so I do know how to make a relationship
work." She looked so pleased with herself just like a ruddy
plump chicken.
"Maybe you have it all with D and little Aidan, but
you should not be so smug!"
"Oh I have it all do I?" This time I realized I had
probably over stepped the mark. "I work ridiculously
long shifts in the Call-centre, D's got sociaphobia
and I hardly ever see my child. We live in this shit-
hole because we can't afford anywhere else. Oh yeah I
have it all, such riches, they've gone to my head."
To make a point she threw a wet sponge at me.
"Oi! Pack it in!" I yelped. "Look I'm sorry, I just
mean your lucky to have D, that's all, someone who loves
you and wants to be with you for keeps. Not like that
shit Jeff."
"Ok, but you are a really pretty woman Becka and I'm
making a point by saying 'woman', you've got to lose
this girlishness. If you must idolize Alan like this
then I suggest you see him and tell him what's in your
head. Then move on. Whatever happens, it's for the best."
"Easy for you to say, he might break my heart again."
"He might, but you will get over it."
"I don't want to get over him. I love the bastard."
The thought of being without Alan forever was
inconceivable-it could not be done.
"To be honest I don't think you love him half as much
as you think you do." Said the Sage of the bathroom.
"Oh? And how would you know that?" Darn, I did overpluck
a bit!
"Because honey if you loved him beyond all reason, you
would never have cheated on him because you would never
have seen the opportunity. You would have only seen him."
Sister-thing began to towel dry her fluffy hair.
"I hear what your saying and I think you are right
(in a way), when I was with Alan it was different, but
since we've parted I know that if I had him back I'd never cheat again. I have changed. I really have!"
"I dunno, you don't seem the faithful type, your like
Mother." Raine said with a frown.
"Don't you ever, ever say that to me again!" I slammed
the bathroom door hard behind me, waking Aidan and making
him cry (which I instantly regretted) what was I doing?
Raine deserved her rant, she had always been good to
me. D sat on the sofa and avoided eye contact with me
after a moment he said:
"Tea?"
"Yeah, please." I could hear Raine singing to Aidan
and hushing him back to sleep.
When she came into the frontroom in her hideous purple
bathrobe I had to smile. "Sorry babe."
"I was harsh." She admitted "Nobody is like Mother."
Silently D gave us both a cup of tea and beat a hasty
retreat. "I'll move out soon." I offered.
"Now?" She smiled.
"Not that quickly."
"Oh and you got my hopes up too." She pretended to be
crestfallen.
Then it was over, we were ok. But I have it in my head
now to make a last ditch effort with Alan. It just has to
be done.
Becka

No comments: