Sunday, July 04, 2004

BACK

Saturday was a blast! I was back working on my counter,
almost blissfully happy or at least I would have been if Justine hadn't been staring so hard at me from her perfume counter. At least Zoey was pleased to see me.
"Oh Becka your back! I'm so pleased, did you get the sack?"
She asked with all the tactfulness of youth. Justine
chortled as though she had something stuck in the back of
her throat.
"Not exactly, but I'm back for a couple of days a week,
we'll just have to see how it goes."
"How nice! All your favourite customers have been asking
after you ." Zoey showed me the way she had 'streamlined'
by make-up stock cabinet (oh well I'd sort that out later).
I was so happy until:
"So it didn't work out with your girlfriend then? Shame,
I heard that although she likes her rough-trade she never
keeps them for long." Justine grinned showing her pearly
whites, oh how I'd like to smash them from her mouth!
To think I almost missed her!
I stared long and hard into her pointed, shrewish face.
"It's no good Justine, I'll have to say it, have you
been forgetting to take your medication again?"
She blanched even whiter (if that was possible).
"Jeffrey and Estelle's wedding was fantastic, I was a
bridesmaid I wore pale blue." She smirked.
"Always the bridesmaid?" I muttered.
"What do you mean by that?" She snapped, Zoey grinned
enjoying it all.
"I mean that Brides usually choose the best bridesmaids
they can to show themselves off, you know like a back-
ground? Usually really ugly ones, or in your case,
dead ones! Honestly Justine, is there any blood left in
your veins at all?" I gave her my shit-kicking grin.
"I hate you." She hissed and went off muttering to
herself. Ah, I was back. Now all I needed was somewhere
to live and a boyfriend.
Becka

No comments: