Monday, April 26, 2004

Posh and Becks (sigh)

I was greeted at worked to day by a
testy Justine.
"A policeman turned up at my door last night!"
She said in an irate voice and with her hands
on her hips. She reminded me of my mother
but less Jewish.
"Thats a novel way to meet a man. Cute was he?"
I feined disinterest.
"You sent him! He kept asking me all these weird
questions, like the ones you keep asking me. I
don't and STILL don't know whats going on. Tell
me now Becka."
"So he did'nt arrest you?" I demanded.
She shook her head:
"Damn it!" So I told her about my Postie.
"And you thought I'd done it?" She looked incredulous.
"Well you do hate me." I said.
"Yes." She admitted:"But I'm not a criminal or mad!
I'd never do anything so creepy, it scares me just
thinking about it." She shivered. "Imagine the kind
of person who would put locusts through a letterbox!
He must be a real freak!"
"Thanks, you've put my mind to rest, kind of! But
we think it's a woman, Alan saw a blonde running
away."
"Well it might have been someone in a blonde wig,
it could even have been a man, thought of that?"
I grimaced:"No, I had'nt but I will now! Justine,
thanks and:" This bit really hurt:"Sorry, but shit
girl! I really thought it was you."
"Sorry to disappoint you!" She laughed and shaking
her head went back to her counter to spray the
unsuspecting. I felt a niggle of guilt, but it passed.

Later that night I sat with Alex in The Twisted Gut,
drinking Mudshakes.
Sean was leaving but Alex seemed in good
spirits, strange as she really liked him.
"Part of me wants to grab him and beg him to
stay." She admitted.
"And the other part?" I asked.
"Wants him to go , for his own good, he needs
this job Becka." She nibbled thoughtfully on a
porkscratching, she was the only person I
knew that could eat them when still sober.
"Hmm, I think he'll be back, he's lovely." I
said. She looked at me.
"And you! With Alan, who would have believed it!
We could have a double wedding if the bastards
will marry us!" She was getting too enthusiastic.
"Whoah! I'm not marrying anyone, least of all
Alan."
"Why least of all? He's lovely, so dignified and
dark! Really posh, oh my god!" She began to
snort. "You are the new 'Posh and Becks'!"
"Piss off you!" I stood up to my full height or
should I say (fall height) as I slipped on a
spill and landed on my arse with a crash biting
my tongue in the process. I wondered how
many times I had done that over the years,
frightening really, must have been at least twice
a month or something silly.
"Come on Becka! Lighten up, anyway you will
probably have to fight your corner if you
want him. Now that Prudence is back on
the scene." Alex said warningly.
"I will never fight for a man, he can go if he
wants, I'm not stopping anyone doing anything.
I've got my friends, that all I need." I placed a
'friendly arm' around Alex's neck.
"Ah, well you see Becka, I'm actually leaving.
I'm going to America with Sean."
That tore it.
"Ah I see."
I'm very selfish-but I did'nt see (it) at all.
BeckaX

No comments: